This blog shows the folkart I make, my reproduction furniture and other projects. My studio/shop is in my backyard. It's a couple of miles off the main road in West Prince County, Prince Edward Island, Canada. When you come to visit make sure you see – the "Olde Times" Garden House Museum; Grandma's Attic; the Furniture Box; Grampa's Loft (antiques, old doors, etc. in my Dad’s old barn loft); and my World's Largest Egg Beater, certified by Guinness World Records.

Friday, August 15, 2014

Folk Art Ferris Wheel

    About a month ago a dealer came to see me - in the back of his truck he had a folk at Ferris wheel made of plywood.  It got me thinking how I could do one.   
     I had the idea of using using bike rims for the wheel - they worked out great.  I used a hand drill for the turning mechanism and wrapped a bungy chord around the wheel.
     The carvings and basket sets are all carved from wood.
Check-out this video...
     What about the Ferris Wheel?  The first "Ferris Wheel" was erected at the Worlds Columbian Exhibition in Chicago in 1893 - it weighed 71 tons and had a 45.5-foot axle and could carry as many as 2,160 people.  It was designed by George W.G. Ferris Jr. - a Pittsburgh bridge builder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment