This blog shows the folkart I make, my reproduction furniture and other projects. My studio/shop is in my backyard. It's a couple of miles off the main road in West Prince County, Prince Edward Island, Canada. When you come to visit make sure you see – the "Olde Times" Garden House Museum; Grandma's Attic; the Furniture Box; Grampa's Loft (antiques, old doors, etc. in my Dad’s old barn loft); and my World's Largest Egg Beater, certified by Guinness World Records.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Burl chair

      I came across this big burl - bought it from someone in Summerside.  For the past couple months I've been thinking and thinking of what I could make from it.  Finally I decided to make a chair -I used a table stand for the base.
 What is a burl?  Here's info from Wikipedia... 
"A burl results from a tree undergoing some form of stress.  It may be caused by an injury, virus or fungus.  Most burls grow beneath the ground, attached to the roots as a type of malignancy that is generally not discovered until the tree dies or falls over.  Such burls sometimes appear as groups of bulbous protrusions connected by a system of rope-like roots.  Almost all burl wood is covered by bark, even if it is underground.  Insect infestation and certain types of mold infestation are the most common causes of this condition."

No comments:

Post a Comment